Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The power of the sky

This guy, Markus Kayser is doing some really cool stuff. The video and his website explain sufficiently what he is doing and it succeeds both scientifically and artistically.

I must admit though that what really made me sit up and pay attention was the desert location of the video: Siwa. The first shots of the video took me straight back to a decade ago, as I suspect it would for anyone who's gone into the desert around Siwa. Even on video you get a sense of the immensity of the sky. When there's nothing else but sand for the eye to rest on, you grasp the enormity of the sky and it inspires a range of feelings from sublime and awe-inspiring to oppressive and anxiety inducing. And at night, my God, it's amazing. You realize quickly how religion, monotheism more specifically, would have its roots in this part of the world. I will get back someday.


Markus Kayser - Solar Sinter Project from Markus Kayser on Vimeo.